7 Things You Didn’t Know About Sleep
Sleep Awareness Week is here! And to celebrate all things sleep, we’re sharing our top 7 most interesting facts with you!
1. Humans are the only mammal to willingly delay sleep
Wow. We so desperately want to binge that final season of Orange Is The New Black, that we go against nature!
2. Lack of sleep makes you hungry
Sleeping regulates hormones that control appetite, compared to lack of sleep which increases the “hunger” hormone, leptin. As well as an increase in appetite, lack of sleep also makes your sugar craving rise by 45%.... Wow.
3. Sleeping improves your memory
There is no doubt that being tired makes us all feel sluggish and unresponsive, but did you know that sleep is actually proven to help the consolidation of information and promote healthier memory. This is for all of the uni girls…. No more late-night cramming!
4. Humans can take ‘cat naps’ without knowing it…. whilst standing up
This could, and probably has happened to you before. Crazy.
5. Your body clock begs for sleep around 2pm every day
I guess it’s not lunch that makes me tired after all!
6. ‘Social Jetlag’ is a real thing
Struggling to get out of bed on a Monday now has a legitimate reason… Blame it on the ‘social jetlag’ from your altered sleeping pattern during the weekend
7. It takes 10-15 minutes to fall asleep
And if it takes you less, then it means you’re sleep deprived.
Now go and get some much-needed sleep! And don't forget to use our Silk Filled Eye Masks
to ensure minimal disturbance while you slumber!
Written by Georgia Carr